ABOUT MUSCULAR DYSTROPHY ASSOCIATION
Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) is leading the fight to free individuals — and the families who love them — from the harm of muscular dystrophy, ALS and related muscle-debilitating diseases that take away physical strength, independence and life. We use our collective strength to help kids and adults live longer and grow stronger by finding research breakthroughs across diseases, caring for individuals from day one and empowering families with services and support in hometowns across America.
Families are at the heart of MDA's mission. We wake up every morning to create more hope and answers for families living with muscular dystrophy and related diseases that take away physical strength and mobility. We do this by finding research breakthroughs across diseases, caring for kids and adults from day one and empowering families with services and support in hometowns across America.
MDA is using the money we raise to accomplish the following goals by 2020:
CURE: Double our research investment on drug development and clinical trials to bring more treatments and cures to families.
CARE: Provide care and support for 50,000 more families — a 50 percent increase over the number of families registered with MDA today.
CHAMPION: Fund 20,000 kids at MDA Summer Camp at no cost to families as we expand our offerings for young adults.
Here are the ways we’re helping achieve these goals so families can live longer and grow stronger:
Cure: Finding research breakthroughs across diseases to accelerate treatments and cures.
At MDA, we take a big-picture perspective across the full spectrum of neuromuscular diseases to uncover breakthroughs that accelerate treatments and cures. The power in our research approach is that we can often apply learnings from one disease to achieve progress in others to bring urgently needed answers to our families.
- MDA is currently funding about 200 research projects in 12 countries.
- In 2015, MDA awarded 84 research grants with a total funding commitment of more than $21.5 million.
- Every day, MDA invests $75,000 in research to find breakthrough treatments and cures across diseases.
- This year, dozens of clinical trials are in progress thanks in part to MDA’s long-term research investments.
Care: Caring for kids and adults from day one.
We know that early diagnosis, highly specialized care and access to promising clinical trials help ensure the best possible outcomes for individuals and families facing muscular dystrophy, ALS and related life-threatening diseases. That’s why MDA is here to provide care for kids and adults from day one. Our MDA Care Centers offer families best-in-class, comprehensive care from a wide variety of health care specialists at one location on the same day, while our trained information specialists and educational resources are available to offer guidance and support through every step of the journey.
- MDA has more than 150 Care Centers across the United States and in Puerto Rico located at top hospitals and health care facilities.
- There were nearly 50,000 visits to our MDA Care Centers in 2015.
- MDA brings together nearly 450 neuromuscular disease clinicians and experts every other year at our annual Clinical Conference to drive the best outcomes and care for families today.
Champion: Empowering families with services and support in hometowns across America.
MDA is here for our families in hometowns across America to empower the kids and adults we serve. From offering support groups and educational seminars that help caregivers, parents and individuals through their journey — to assisting families with durable medical equipment to maintain independence — to giving kids with muscular dystrophy the best week of the year at MDA Summer Camp, MDA is here to help families maintain and improve their health while actively pursuing education, passions, careers, dating, marriage and other goals associated with living independently.
- More than 3,800 kids received the best week of the year at no charge to their families at MDA Summer Camp in 2015. MDA hosts nearly 75 summer camps across the country annually.
- Every month, about 300,000 unique visitors come to mda.org to find the information and resources they need — that’s about 3.6 million people a year.
- MDA provided more than 140 support groups, including 1,200 different sessions, in hometowns across America during 2015.
For more information, visit mda.org